Wednesday 8 October 2008

Time, a commodity

Going back into education after an eight year hiatus was very daunting. Walking into class the first day to find I was the last to arrive was quite intimidating. Some ice breaking exercises soon eased my initial anxieties. There’s a great mix of ages and backgrounds which has made me feel very much part of the group.

I was a little bit disappointed about only having the time to attend the HNC course. Leaving my job as a graphic designer to attend the HND course was never a serious consideration. I have managed to put any regret behind me for now.

It’s week four of the course and I’m finding it quite time consuming. Getting on with the first assignment, holding down a job four days a week, seeing my girlfriend and keeping up with other commitments is hard to juggle.

Any spare time is very much a luxury. On the other hand keeping busy, meeting new people and constantly learning new things as made me feel motivated and driven. Since starting the course I have become much more inquisitive in general.

I’m really enjoying the course, but I must learn to manage my time better. With my newly found motivation I’m finding it hard to fully concentrate on the job at hand, whether it’s work, my social life, the assignment or weekly self study tasks there’s always something else in my thoughts that I need to do. I don’t think this will be healthy for my development over the duration of the course. Do I need to prioritise and be more structured with my time? I think so.

No comments: